For some reason, the doorbell never rings at a good time. It always seems like I am in the middle of something I don't want other people to be aware of, and DING DONG, the bell rings. A recent experience:
I changed Alex's stinky diaper in my living room. This is not a common practice, but at the time this is where it was done. The diaper change was done, but there was that lingering smell. Then what do you know, the doorbell rings. I almost always answer it because I always think it will be important. As soon as I answer the door, I realize, the person on my doorstep can certainly smell something. I see the recognition on their faces. Then the awkward moment - Do I tell them I just changed a diaper, or do I just pretend I can't smell anything? If I bring it up will it just become even more awkward, like I am trying to blame my son for something? Oh the pain, so I choose to pretend I don't smell a thing, only to realize I have not been paying any attention to what the person is talking about, and now a whole new embarassing moment.
It seems this is a common scenario at our house. It never fails, when the house is sparkling clean, dinner is smelling so good, and we've all had showers, not one person rings the doorbell. As soon as the family is falling apart, the dishes haven't been done, and a baby is running around as a rugrat, DING DONG.
So moral of the story, if you knock on my door, just be prepared for the unknown!
5 comments:
I can't believe you thought your life was boring!??? I think the stories on your blog are the best of all!
That's so true! I know I can relate to such stories.
I think that we have the same problem most of the time - but my doorbell and phone seemed to be hooked. I talk to very few people each day and I have very few people come to the door but they always happen at the same time. So then I never know if I should interupt the person on the phone or answer the door and say - hello please hold!
At least you were dressed, right? Sometimes if I'm not feeling properly attired or ready to accept company I just don't answer!
I always tell people if they want to see my house, make an appointment. But, if they would like to visit me, drop by any time! (Cousin Mindy actually said this to me a couple years ago and it has become my motto!). It seems to take the pressure out of feeling like people are judging me for the state of my house! Lovin' your blog!
Post a Comment