Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Cutest Little Shepherd

As a tradition in my family, we meet together at my aunt and uncle's house on Christmas Eve and have a family party. We have done this every year that I can remember and it is truly Christmas to me. I love this night, I always have. As a child I would play with my cousins for hours and just soak in the Christmas excitement. We have dinner, then following the dinner we have the nativity story. The kids then dress up in nativity clothes. These clothes have been used for generations! I was Mary for many years, and it is so fun to see new generations experiencing this story.

First, we turn out all the lights and look out the big family room window and watch an outdoor nativity scene. (My aunt and uncle live on a farm). You can see across the field with a spotlight on them, Joseph leading a mule with Mary on it. It is a very powerful scene. It is freezing cold, Joseph is walking in deep snow, and the spirit is very strong. As they walk across the field, those of us inside sing Christmas Hymns. They then approach the fence where the innkeeper is standing and asks if they can stay in the house. The innkeeper tells them he is full, but shows them a little manger they can go. They tie the mule and go to the manger. My uncle then shoots off a flare and it lights the whole sky representing the star.

We all then turn on the lights and the little kids act out the nativity. I love this party, and hope to be able to attend and keep the tradition going for many more years!

This is my nephew Anthony (Joseph), neice Mikelle (Mary), and Alex the Shepherd.
Here are all the kids in the manger huddling around the cradle with the baby doll inside.

This is the outdoor scene. Mary and Joseph are in the manger.


Alex loved being a shepherd!

So Cute!

6 comments:

Murdoch said...

He is one cute shepherd!

Angie said...

I love that your family does this. What a fun tradition! So do you have real people outside freezing? If so, who gets to do that?

Mark and Kattie said...

Adorable!

Rob & Rachael Heuseveldt said...

What a neat idea! I got chills when I read about the outdoor manger scene! AMAZING! Thanks for sharing your favorite traditions. By the way, He is a Dang Cute Shepherd!

Unknown said...

Alex makes such a cute little shepard. Love this part of Christmas the best...the real Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Liz, thanks so much for sharing. It is good for me to know your feelings about Christmas Eve. Sometimes I get wrapped up in the "Martha" end of things. It is fun that we are getting back to the little kids nativity. Alex was a great Sheppherd and took his job seriously. So Cute!! You have a great blog. Fun to read.