You know when you don't have any children and you think you're the perfect parent? Remember looking at children and thinking those parents need to do something? I was one of those people. I was going to be the perfect parent....
Then I became a parent....
It's only 1 o'clock and I feel like I should just crawl back into bed and go to sleep.
I went to the grocery store today...with Alex. This is what stemmed this whole post. I should have learned, this is never good.
I went to Wal-Mart and when I got out of the car it was blowing really bad, so I had Alex all bundled up against me so he would stay warm. Well, that kid is BIG. 30 pounds big, and that get heavy when you're trying to keep him against you and warm. I kept telling myself to just get to the carts. I finally reach the building and when I go for a cart....there are none. NONE. I asked the man that stands there if they have any carts. He looks at me and says, "not right now...there are some out there." Pointing to the parking lot. (I am still holding Alex) I say to the guy, "I don't know why I shop at this stupid store." and walk off. I was mad, I can't stand Wal-mart, but what I can't stand more is I keep going back. (Dang cheapskate tendencies.)
Anyways, after walking to the other side of the store, I found a sopping wet cart and dumped Alex in. I only had a few items to buy so I was going to be quick. Yeah right, when are you quick at Wal-mart three days before Christmas?
Alex was acting up, screaming, standing up, yelling all the names of the items he could see on the shelves. I kept telling him to sit down, be quiet, stop doing that, put your shoes back on, quit, quit, quit. People were staring at me. People who were like me a few years ago that think they know everything. Then I did it, I was one of those moms. Alex had me at wits end and I looked over and he was biting into a bag of licorice he found. I took the bag of licorice and whopped him upside the head. Yep, I was one of those moms. People were really staring now. I had had it.
We finally got checked out, after Alex had picked up and dropped the milk (thank goodness it didn't break), opened the butter box because he was sure the picture on the front of corn meant there was a cob of corn in there, sat on my bread, bit the licorice, taken off his shoes and socks, and pooped his pants.
Well Heavenly Father must have known I couldn't handle anything more because before I got out of the parking lot, he was asleep. Then I come home and look at everyone's blogs and they all have perfect children. I swear blogs are bad for the self esteem.
I'm going to enjoy my 2 hours of silence.
P.S. I do love my son.
13 comments:
No one has perfect children! You know that! :) I shouldn't say this but I totally laughed at your post..only because I can relate. I went to Target today with my two girls and let's just say there was a lot of yelling and whinning. Then on the way home Brooklyn fell asleep. What? She doesn't take naps anymore, but apparently she needed one today.
Lately, as I look at my newborn I think about how in just a few more months I'll be yelling at her too. It's so sad! If only we could be the perfect moms we thought possible.
I laughed so hard reading your blog! I KNOW THE FEELING! When Jarom was younger we were shopping in Win-Co and he dropped the Sour Cream out of the cart. Well, I was "one of those moms". I grabbed his arm and said, "You'll be Lucky if you make it out of this store alive!" I turned around to see a clerk standing right there looking at me disgustingly! I FEEL YOUR PAIN! Hang in there, and thanks for the good laugh!
Wow, I had no idea what an experience you had. Next time, leave him with me :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has bad Wal-Mart experiences! I, too, despise that store, and yet, I keep going back! I hate when people look at you like you have no idea what you're doing as a parent in those situations! Good luck! I'm glad he fell asleep for you!
Oh Liz- everyone has those days. Don't you remember Gavin at the church when I tried to work out? That wasn't rare either, that was three times a week. I could tell you so many horrible things my kids do, and I promise, I have done it in the past, when they are bad I blog about it. I know it's not funny to you, but you did provide a very humorous story to read, thanks.
Frank and I also have the same feelings about Wal-Mart (did you read his "dumb zone" post). Anyway, I think it's the time of year when all little ones are crazy. Mine are, don't worry. I hope tomorrow will be a better day.
Oh my gosh, I am laughing out loud. Sorry. Hope you meant for that to be at least somewhat funny, even if frustrating. :)
I HATE Wal-mart, but it is a necessary evil. I go there at least once a week and leave with a bad taste in my mouth most of the time. Last time I was there, the cashier didn't even look at me when she rang me up. Not that I care, but I thought it was rude (okay, I guess I cared). Then there's the greeter guy who thinks I'm a thief. EVERY time I go past him, he stops me and inspects my cart. UGH.
Sorry that happened. I was especially amused by the Alex thinking there was corn in the butter box bit....
Oh, PS - blogs ARE bad for self esteem. I totally agree. And yet, we keep on readin'
Oh my goodness! You just summed up the story of my shopping life in one blog post. And I'm having a third. Go figure. Anyway, you are a wonderful mom and there will always be days that you feel like you could have done something different, but we learn from those. I guarantee that you will get back on that horse and go back to Walmart. :)
Sorry- I need to add, since doing the grocery smarts thing I go to Wal-Mart a lot less and that at least makes me happy.
Liz...Im not a mother yet..so i don't know..but I think if I saw you hit your child witha bag of licorice I would have laughed!!!. You are a good mom, I know how much you like to laugh..Take the time to laugh at yourself..
I've whopped Easton upside the head many a times in Walmart. :0)What is it with that place??? I guess happens to me in Target too. He he he. Wait until you add another to the bunch. It's like a circus!
This post made me laugh so hard! I have SO been there. I am there all the time. When I had two children, I stopped going anywhere. Really I am just a home body, it is awful. I am cheap too and I shop at Walmart even though I despise it. Hope you enjoyed your two hour break!
I just had to laugh, I know those days very well. I don't even think you are "one of those moms". I think you are great and just know those days are normal. Hang in there!
Post a Comment