Monday, December 15, 2008

Forgotten Carols

Last week my little brother came down to visit. (which was a huge answer to prayers as my babysitter had cancelled last minute and I had an enrichment christmas dinner...but anyways) He had come down with tickets to Forgotten Carols. I had just written my post about seeing this play and how badly I'd like to see it.

He had a date....the date fell through, so I got to go. Sorry Jess, I'm sure it would have been more fun with a "real" date.

I was really excited to go. It was a perfect opportunity to sit and forget about all my troubles and enjoy the christmas spirit. The music is absolutely beautiful, and I loved getting out.

As I sat and enjoyed the music I started thinking about Michael McLean. I have always been a pretty big fan of Michael McLean's. Say what you may about him, but I think he is amazingly talented. His music is beautiful, but more than that his lyrics really tell a story. If you listen to the words, you will be touched. My favorite song of his is One of the Ninety and Nine.

I received this CD (Safe Harbors) for my 17th birthday, and I've nearly worn it out. It's definitely one that gets played over and over when things are tough. I couldn't find it on You Tube, so if you haven't heard it... find it. It's amazing. It's about a girl that is just one of the ninety and nine. She's just trying her best, but isn't necessarily the "one" that's lost, just one of the crowd. I think a lot of us feel this way during our life. I appreciate the lyrics and it eventually talks about the Savior seeking her out and telling her she's ONE of the ninety and nine, she's special because she has always followed Him and He knows who she is. It's very powerful.

This has always been one of my favorite Biblical stories. I love when the Savior is depicted as a Shepherd. There is something tender about that analogy. I know the Savior loves me and knows me, I guess this song reminds me of it everytime I hear it. I hope to always be ONE of the ninety and nine.

Okay, I just found a clip of the song:

http://www.ldsmusicworld.net/audioclips/ninety_and_nine_clip.mp3

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I hope Kristen reads these comments - She taught a Relief Society lesson years ago about this, and if I'm not mistaken, she played that song on a CD as part of the lesson. I will always remember that. It was very touching. I am grateful for some many friends who are all just trying their best as "one of the ninety and nine". :) Thanks for this post, Liz.

Mark and Kattie said...

I have always loved that song, I tear up when I really listen to the words.

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

I have always wanted to go to the Forgotten Carols (Frank won't support Michael McLean- but that doesn't mean I don't want to). I have loved the music ever since it came out. Maybe next year some of us who really want to go can make a night of it. I'm glad you enjoyed it, plus lucky that you got to go with your brother.