Friday, March 14, 2008

Individual Journey

Last night we had enrichment, and there was a speaker named Mowava Pryor. She is an actress, and she played the mother in the move The Testaments. She was a great speaker. There was a spirit in the room the whole time she spoke, it was one of those experiences when you don't want it to end. She had a way of using humor, and yet speaking to your spirit at the same time. I really enjoyed myself.

A few things really struck me during her talk. She told of the song Brightly Beams, and the meaning of the song. In the song, one of the lines is "Let the lower lights be gleaming" She talked about the Savior being the lighthouse. He is the Light. But below the lighthouse there are lights that line the shore and indicate where the cliffs are so a sailor will be guided to shore. She related us to being those lower lights. We have the Savior to look towards for the light, but we need lower lights to guide us to safety. I thought that was really interesting. If those lower lights weren't there, we wouldn't be able to get to the Light.

We need each other in this life. This is what struck me the most - she said "This is an individual journey" We don't have our ancestors making reservations for us in the celestial kingdom. We don't have friends saving us a seat, this is an individual journey. We need to decide for ourselves, and get ourselves there. We can help each other along the way, but it is only yourself that can get you to where you want to go.

I appreciated her story, she is a convert to the church, and had some interesting stories. She has a desire for wisdom, and she seeks after it. She searched for the true church for many years. In so doing she researched many different religions and found them lacking. Until she found our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

In her testimony she stated that we have what everyone wants. Everyone wants to connect with their Heavenly Father, and our religion does. She challenged us to do the missionary work. Tell other people the amazing things we know to be true. I really felt the spirit, and it made me realize what I do have. I HAVE THE RESTORED GOSPEL! I know these things are true, I know I am a child of God. There are a lot of people out there who don't know this. They don't know a loving Heavenly Father like we do.

So with this talk, I made a few resolutions. I am not going to take for granted this knowledge. It will be important to me, and thus I need to share it. I don't know how, but I will. I want other people to know the love the Lord has for each of us. I don't know how I would make it through life without this knowledge, and I know there are people seeking for it right now and need that comfort.

I didn't mean to get all serious on you, but just thought I would share what a good experience I had and hope others will feel the spirit of this wonderful message.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I've been thinking about Mowava all day today. Her talk was AMAZING. I don't think I've ever heard a more powerful conversion story. The world needs more people like her! I also came away just feeling that we have so much to share. It was nice to have someone like her put everything into perspective, you know? We have been give so much!

Anonymous said...

One of the General Authorities suggested that we use our blogs to communicate about the church and use it as a missionary tool...you are already following his counsel and have started down the path of your new resolution by sharing your testimony in this post! Thanks for sharing.