Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Motherhood First

We had a first at our house this weekend. Alex had the flu and with it came throwing up.....everywhere. I know I should be so thankful that we lasted 3 years (and I am), but that was one of the most miserable motherhood experiences of my life thus far. It was terrible, for him and me. I hated watching him throw up, and even worse hated the clean up. Dallin pretty much cleaned up all the throw up, I got all the diarrhea. I don't know why, but that seemed easier for me than the throw up.

Dallin walked into our house on Sunday morning after we were about 8 hours into the flu and says, "our house stinks" I lit every candle we have in the house to combat all the smells of the bodily fluids being thrown around, but it did little to rid it completely.

It started in the middle of the night (which every time he gets sick, it's in the middle of the night why?), he woke up and threw up all over his pillow and blankets. We had to clean that all up, which amounted to an hour. He then slept a couple hours and woke up with a diarrhea diaper, the worst ever! It was up to his shoulderblades in the back (I know too much). Anyways, as I was cleaning that up in his bedroom, I had him in the bath. He then screams, "I pooped in the bathtub". So I was up to my elbows cleaning it up in the bedroom, I grab him and take him to the shower in another bathroom to clean him up and get him dressed. This is when Dallin walks in from meetings and announces our house stinks. It was a blow.

I then switched Dallin and went to church while he stayed home with Alex. The poor kid was miserable. Of course the entire time I am at church there are no episodes. I came home from church and we had tithing settlement that we had to go to. I didn't want to take Alex, but he was all perky from his nap and hadn't had an episode since that morning, so we chanced it and took him. We made it through all the tithing settlement, walked in our door in the laundry room and he lost it all over the place. I am so glad that didn't happen in the church. But then crazy enough, that was it for him. He was done. He started acting normal, slept through the night and can't even remember really what happened. Weird.

Now I just hope that Dallin and I don't end up with the same thing!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

How horrible! I hope it takes another 3 years before you have it again.

Shae said...

oh, so sad! i'm glad that he's over it now! watching your little kids be sick like that is one of the worst things...and even worse is having to clean up after it! you are very lucky that you lasted for 3 years!!

Frank, Heidi and Family said...

That is never fun. Poor Alex. You know you are a loving mom when you voluntarily clean up after your child like that. I totally agree, why does it always happen at night?

Kelly said...

Ugh. That is horrible!! It is SO sad when kids throw up. Glad you survived, so far!! Hang in there.

Angie said...

I can't believe Alex finally was sick like this. You are so lucky it took this long to experience it. He should be able to understand that he needs to throw up in a bowl or maybe even the toilet. I'm also so glad that it didn't last very long. I'm sure Dallin and you will be fine because I know you were very good at disinfecting everything.

Tia said...

I haven't had that with Ryker yet. And I'm not looking forward to it. Thankfully, the girls are old enough to throw up in the toilet or a bowl, (usually).
I'm glad he's feeling better!